Asuka Historical Museum
This museum provides an easily digestible introduction to the history and culture of the Asuka area, through an array of precious unearthed artifacts and replicas. Of special note is a corridor of Yamadadera Temple, which is the oldest existing temple structure in Japan. Discovered underground with the pillars and windows still intact, it has been designated an Important Cultural Property.
- 9:00–16:30 (enter by 16:00); Closed Mon. (or Tues. when Mon. is a public holiday)
- 270 yen
- Take the Akakame bus and get off at Asuka Shiryokan
- 601 Okuyama, Asuka-mura
- Asuka Historical Museum
Glass Studio & Coffee Sanpo
You’ll never tire of the simple, modest designs of the glassware in this shop, all of which is handmade. Why not try your hand at glassblowing here, before relaxing with a home-roasted coffee in the adjacent coffee shop?
- 10:00–18:00 (last order 17:30); Closes at 17:00 (last order 16:30) Oct.–Feb.; Closed Thurs. and Fri. (open on public holidays)
Note: Glassblowing classes are held irregularly. Please inquire in advance.
- Coffee from 450 yen, homemade cake 420 yen, lunch from 1,000 yen
- Take the Akakame bus and get off at Oka-hashimoto
- 55-4 Oka, Asuka-mura
- Glass Studio & Coffee Shop Sanpo